Enable Ireland Sandymount School is a co-educational special school providing a primary and second-level education to students from age 4 to 18 with physical and other complex needs. Some of our students experienced developmental delay and though may not presenting with a physical disability, they need our specialised setting. Our students are bused daily into School from all parts of the South Dublin City and County.
We are co-located with Enable Ireland clinical services in a purposeful designed building and have developed suitable indoor and outdoor physical environments which offer a rich and varied learning experience to each child.
Our students is why our school exists. They are our focus, our concern, and our duty. They have the privilege of knowing that every action we take is for them. Without our special students we have no purpose as a school. Because of our students, we teach, we support, we administer and we manage.
To our students, we offer up our best years in the hope and comfort that they may realise their potential. In our students, we see the future, a better country than the past. They are at the centre of everything that we do and our hope is that they are ENABLED by what we do.
Children attending our school receive clinical services from Enable Ireland Disability Services. A specialist School Clinic Team offer Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech & Language Therapy, Psychological and Social Work support as appropriate. Enable Ireland offer a family based service. The school work in collaboration with the Clinical Services Team to offer a holistic approach to the delivery of education and care. The school and clinical team have built considerable expertise in the co-delivery of education and clinical services throughout the school day and year. This interdisciplinary team ensure pupils receive clinical service throughout the school day which enable them participate fully in their education programs.
The School Clinical intervention includes:
- Attendance and support throughout the entire Individual Education Planning process.
- Arrange and deliver specialist groups of pupils to develop skills in the areas of dressing & balance, fine motor skills, movement, handwriting and social skills groups.
- Individual sessions in Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech & Language therapy for students arranged during the school day.
- Joint sessions with teachers and SNAs including the Physiotherapist, Speech and Language Therapist and the Occupational Therapist working jointly with pupils.
- Teacher and SNA training in postural management, and Feeding Drinking & Swallowing techniques.
- A strong collaborative approach to the use of Assistive technology at school and home with Parents, Teachers, SNAs and Therapists.
- Joint Teacher and Therapist Home visits to support children across the curriculum.
- Postural Management e.g. managing a child’s posture in sitting, standing and lying at school to achieve optimal posture for their growth, development education and independence.
- Nursing staff help support and facilitate children attending the Enable Ireland School as well as providing advice to parents on topics such as Health Promotion and prevention of illness. The nursing staff are an important link between parents and the child’s educational setting.